How beneficial are Child safety screens
According to Kidsafe NSW, one kid in Australia falls from a balcony or house window every week. Children aged 1–5 years are the most at risk. These falls can cause severe injuries or death.
All Australian parents and guardians want to keep their kids safe at home. You may achieve this goal if you discover how do child safety screens work. Getting child safety screens for home enables you to keep young children safe and comply with Australian regulations.
How Do Child Safety Screens Work?
Falls and accidents in family homes happen for various reasons, including:
- Children climbing on fixtures and opening a window or pushing out insect screens
- Kids playing on a bed next to an open window
- Kids losing balance as they sit on a window will while looking out or reading
- Children pushing each other close to a window
Child safety screens for homes prevent kids from falling from upper-level rooms in apartment blocks and multi-storey houses.
You need child safety screens for homes to comply with the National Construction Codes on child safety. The law requires windows to have openings of no more than 125mm if they are two meters or more above the ground floor. The window should also tolerate a 250N outward force (25kg of pressure).
While most people use window locks to protect their children at home, this approach means they can’t open windows wide to allow fresh air into the house. Window locks can be a problem when they need to exit through the window during an emergency, as they first need keys.
How do child safety screens work?
Child safety screens offer protection and safety for kids. You may also open them with ease to allow fresh air into the house. They also are stylish, and they may not interfere with your windows’ appearance. Child safety screens also prevent insects from entering your house.
Reasons for Getting Child Safety Screens
You should get child safety screens for these reasons:
- Kids can be curious: While you can educate kids on the dangers of playing near windows and heights, they may not remember your teachings every time. They can be curious. This curiosity can put them at risk of falling. Getting child safety screens ensures they can’t fall or suffer any other injury.
- You may leave your windows open in the summer: Many homes have several windows to ventilate during summer’s hot days. Homeowners often leave them open during these periods. However, this approach can put kids at risk of falling. Child safety screens can allow for air circulation and be barriers between your windows and kids.
- Accidents can happen: Kids can do things that adults consider risky. Extra precautions are necessary to ensure their safety. This approach is essential as upper-level windows can pose risks, even when closed. Some homes have fragile glass that can pose more hazards to the kids. Quality child safety screens are the best ways to guarantee the kids’ safety when dealing with elevated windows.
- Non-intrusive option: Thick metal bars installed to houses’ exteriors can offer security, but they aren’t appealing. This reason can turn many homeowners away from security screens. You don’t have to worry about such issues when dealing with child safety screens. These installations are available in various designs, such as diamond-style screens. The best options are non-intrusive, low-impact options that can complement your home’s style.
- Offers two-way security: Child safety screens offer both internal and external security. Intruders can’t get in through them, and your kids can’t fall out the window.
Child Safety Screens Buying Guide
You have various options of child safety screens to consider. This child safety screens buying guide can help you choose correctly.
- Easy egress: Choose an option with easy egress. This feature will be helpful during an emergency.
- Temperature & corrosion: Choose an option that can withstand salt or coastal corrosion areas. This benefit ensures it can serve you for long. Pick child safety screens that have built-in UV inhibitors as they can stand extreme temperature fluctuations.
- Stylish: Choose elegant options and colours. These child safety screens will fit in with your home’s style.
- Customisation: Choose options that the manufacturers customise to your unique needs.
- Compliance: The child safety screens should comply with all the relevant requirements. For example, they should comply with AS5203-2016 and meet the National Construction Codes.
- Mounting: You may choose child safety screens that you can mount to aluminium or timber frames.
Now that you’ve discovered how do child safety screens work, check out Problind Shutters to discover more ways to keep your kids safe.